Sunday, November 21, 2010

THANKSGIVING OR BLACK FRIDAY

Which day holds more meaning for your household? For me is it Black Friday as I am going to my friend's house for dinner with the family. Always a joy as I am not doing the main job of cooking.
I did volunteer to bring sweet potatoes as I love them with turkey. So here is a different twist on the dish. I feel like it came from BH&G but not too sure. I usually go with the mashed potato casserole but want to try something different.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil,
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high.
Add sweet potatoes; cook, stirring once, until beginning to brown, 2 minutes.
Add broth, packed brown sugar, and fresh lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 10 minutes.
Uncover, and cook over medium-high until sweet potatoes are tender and liquid is syrupy, 7 to 9 minutes more (there should be only a small amount of liquid remaining).
Remove skillet from heat; add butter, and swirl skillet until melted.
Season with salt and pepper.
Really quite simple and not too much fuss. Maybe you might like to try a change.

Otherwise the rest of the meal is pretty standard with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls and veggies. Oh yes, pumpkin and apple pie.

My other adventure this year is a PUMPKIN ROLL. My friend makes/sells these each year and are yummy. I looked at a lot of sites and here are two pretty much alike.
http://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/recipe-exchange/11990-thanksgiving-recipes.html and the other is http://southernfood.about.com/od/pumpkins/r/blbb465.htm?nl=1. Anyway I am going to make one between now and Christmas, just for me.

As far as Black Friday, I am not getting up at 4a.m. but would like to check out a new TV and a laptop. I thought I would go shopping today and tomorrow to see just how big a 40" really is and would I like it in my living room.

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving with family and friends.

No comments: